Thursday, September 9, 2010

Frugal is the new "cool"

Everyone loves a good deal and I'm no exception.  Since I've started working for myself, and work is harder to come by than I initially thought, I've been putting more effort into being thoughtful about my spending (or saving).
  • I haven't given up all luxury.  A girl still needs a latte, right?  Instead, I've registered my Starbucks gift card so that I can earn bonus drinks (every 15th one is free!) and get exclusive offers.  I also put my allocated weekly coffee funds on there and when it's gone it's gone. 
  • Couponing is not just a passive activity.  It requires a guru, a partner, and some stamina.  If you can make it through the first month, you can make it!  I don't pay for personal items (pads, tampons, diapers, wipes, body soap, deodorant, razors, etc.) any more.  Our snack stash is awesome.  I get fruit juice for 25c.  And I love showing off my savings after I make a killing at the grocery store.  If you are interested in this, my friend (and guru) Stephanie is going to teach a class at my house.  The date is TBD, it will cost $10 and will be so much fun.  Leave a comment if you want to come.  If you think you can navigate this world on your own, proceed with caution, but these bloggers are great resources:
    • Bargains to Bounty - She matches up deals at Detroit area grocery stores.  She also has a discussion board on her FB page where fans can trade coupons
    • Coupon Crazy Chrys - Weekly drugstore deals
    • This Side of Eternity - I don't really check her blog, but she posts great deals on Facebook
    • Saving Cents with Sense - Good deals on Facebook
    • Groupon - I wake up and I check the daily Groupon.  Not only for Detroit but also for Chicago and other cities that I plan to visit.  The deal has to be at least 50% off the organizations best deal.  Entertainment, spa, food, recreation...I've purchased them for me, for my family and for my friends.  I listed this last because I'm not sure I'm saving money with Groupons, but I'm definitely getting great deals with them.  Think holiday, birthday and wedding gifts! 
  • Go "shopping" at the library - Fill a bag with new books, videos, CDs - enjoy for 3 weeks - repeat.  Our public library also offers fun family programming.  For example, on Wednesday mornings the ROPL offers story time for 2 and 3 year olds.  They have several other programs including musical story time.  All of these activities are free, but they do require registration. 
    • Check out a Museum Adventure Pass - free admission to 20 or so local attractions.  Available at the library.   
  • Shop the clearance racks - If you can guesstimate what size your kids will be in a year, stock up on clothes for the following year at the end of the season when stores are clearing room for the new lines.  I scored some adoreable Carter's gear at the end of summer.  Shorts for $2 and t-shirts for $1. 
  • VRBO - Vacation Rental by Owner is a wonderful resource for out of town home rentals. Our most recent vacation was on the west side of Michigan and we landed a great deal on a two bedroom, in-town condo.  We paid about what we would have paid for a Holiday Inn, but had a full kitchen and a separate room for the babies. You can read reviews, check out pictures and book directly with the owners. 
  • Mom to Mom sales - the new and improved rummage sale!  Tables and tables of nicely priced kids stuff.  Clothes, toys, books, and more.  The M2M season is upon us.  Plan to pay a small entrance fee (usually a buck or two that supports the school or church that is hosting the sale).  Check the list on Friday and make your Saturday game plan, grab a girlfriend, borrow a truck and hunt those deals. 
I'd love to hear your tips and tricks for saving cash and having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment