Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back to work mission: Operation Wardrobe

-9 degrees
2 hour time limit
18 month old in a stroller
2 month old strapped to my front
outlet mall looming
My mission:  Find some clothes that fit, look good and don't break the bank

Panicked yet?  I was!  I am returning to work on January 11th from maternity leave and refuse to spend a ton of money on clothes that I don't intend to be wearing for very long.  I'm typically a size 6 but after the birth of our daughter I got used to being a size 8.  However, this size 12 is entirely new to me and not something I'm handling gracefully. Last week, I was feeling brave (or insane) and pulled out THE jeans...You know the ones that make your butt look great, nothing hangs over the edge of the waistband, and give you mile long gams?  I struggled to get those suckers over my thighs. 

Where I work, clothing is something of a requirement, so I set out with babies and best friend in tow in search of something appropriate to wear to the office.  The only sensible place I could think to shop was the outlet mall, so we headed to the nearest one with a mission:  find clothes that don't suck.  Megan was having a party at her house later that day and was given a strict return time by her husband.  No problem....We just need a few pieces.  Two hours is PLENTY of time...

Our first stop:  Coach factory store.  Purses and shoes are perfect buys when I'm avoiding clothes shopping.  They always fit, no matter how much muffin I have on top.  Oversized, super sassy, leather satchel-check!  Leather writing portfolio for all those important meetings-check!  Belt for the hubby so I don't take too much grief for buying leather goods instead of clothes-check!  Feeling good about my finds, we proceeded down the long, outdoor mall.  There are so many store fronts to pop into "just for a second" to see what we could find for the kids.  I don't know about you, but the other avoidance purchase that's oh-so-fun is clothing for the babies.  It's cute, it's cheap and it always fits!  Carters, Gymboree, Polo, Osh Kosh, Stride Rite, Baby Gap, Old Navy...we hit them all.

As the astute reader I'm sure you are, you've probably noticed by now that I have not hit one reasonable store for accomplishing my original mission.  The clock tells us that we should be leaving the mall in 20 minutes...and given all the bags and babies we were lugging, it would take at least that long to get loaded into the car.  However, we were on a mission. Banana Republic outlet was having a sale...most things were 40% off the already low outlet prices. Just my size! We hurried in (after a quick stop to feed and change the crew) and snapped up everything that fit the rules a la Stacey and Clinton: thick waistband, wide legged pants; tops that fit the smallest part and flow away from the trouble spots; colors that flatter.  I felt like I was on Super Market Sweep, but instead of finding the most expensive groceries, I had to find the least expensive wardrobe.  There was no time to try anything on, and it was on a wing and a prayer that we made it through the store.  Lincoln was screaming, Eleanor was hungry, Megan was worried and I was stressed.  I managed to spend less than $300 and made it out of the store with 4 pair of pants, 5 shirts, 1 cami, and 1 pair of pajama pants (something that will certainly fit) all in sizes that should fit my new physique .

We made it home an hour after our promised return time (sorry Kyle!). The kids napped on the way and we were exhilarated by all that we had accomplished during our outing.  The fashion show that evening was a success.  The pants all have waistbands, the shirts are work appropriate (and baby drool free), and I feel good wearing everything. THE jeans will have to wait a few more months, but I'm determined to fit them again.  Until then, I will embrace my new shape and size.  After all, I have the best consolation prize-my beautiful baby boy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete